Thursday, August 26, 2004

What do you want, Bling?

Do you hear that "crack... crack..."?
That's my blog counter, it has been limping for quite sometime, unable to take the sudden surge in hits. Thanks to my post on Windows SP2 (most importantly my mentioning about bling.exe).
It is surprising to note that none of the major anti-virus co's have noticed the new trojan variant on the loose, bling.exe. I was struck when I tried to access some stupid(?) website, and sure bling.exe is a backdoor trojan. It attacks through one of those innumerable holes present in IE. (I simply wish that I could use my firefox all the time, but there are many morons out there who design their website only for IE).

Okay coming back to Bling.exe, I had deleted the bling.exe from my system32 directory and that seemed to have solved the problem (oh yeah and I have become more restraint in using IE). But this seems not a perfect solution for many, for them the problem still exists.
My 2 (well actually 4 :-) ) cents :

1. (Buy and) Install a good anti-virus
2. Check out this thread in Symantec's website
3. Checkout this article in PestPatrol and finally
4. Be careful while using IE (Patch it!!)

1 Shouts:

  • Thanks for the link to symantecs page about bling.exe. It would appear that they are keeping that link secret as they haven't wrapped their heads around the problem. I have entered bling.exe in their anti-virus encyclopedia and there are no hits. Nor are there hits for winmon32.exe which is I feel a variant of this spybot worm. Bling.exe tries to contact underrun.net and winmon32 tries to contact spazbox.net. but both I feel came from the same email.

    Stevo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home