Saturday, August 14, 2004

Time travel with Windows XP SP2

Yeah baby it is fun! In the last four hours I have travelled back to 2002 (a.k.a Pre service pack era of windows XP), through the windows black-hole (Lucky me, Stephen Hawking just discovered that we indeed can get information from within black holes) and at the end of the four hour exciting journey Now I'm back to four hours before.

Okay before proceeding with the details of my journey, my two cents to anybody wishing to take such a journey into the world of Windows XP SP2:
1c. Fasten your seat belts.
2c. Have that shiny disk you bought for 7000 odd bucks(a.k.a Windows XP Professional Installation CD) ready.

Now to the exciting journey :

It all started with my valiant decision to turn down all the reviews about SP2 installation and proceed with one myself.

The half_an_hour_more_than_the_original_Install duration of SP2 didn't scare me at all (I had sneaked thru some of the reviews already). I realized that I'm on this exciting journey only when the first time freeze occured. My machine gave a blank stare at me for about 10 minutes,
forcing me to take that shiny little weapon (see my second cent). Suddenly I was taken back to the DOS days, with a command prompt (Windows recovery console) blinking at me, I failed to win the heart of XP, I was in the black-hole.

I had to take my next weapon, XP repair tool. Within an hour of jerky journey I landed in the pre service pack era of Windows XP. It took an hour more to get/verify the information from the black hole. (I should give the credits to guys @ M$ as I got my data back).Luckily I had XP SP1 with me, that helped me to get back to four hours before.

Now here I am blogging about my two cents.

Wait a minute I see a friend greeting me here....

"Your system will be shut down in 59 seconds"

"58 seconds.." "57 seconds"

Hey I know you, I remember the protocol, pressed Win+R and typed "shutdown /a". It is good to see an old friend, Sasser (only this time it is his cousin bling.exe)
My other ol' buddy, Norton too recognized him.

I love this (stinky) ol' world, no more SP2.

Yay!