Friday, June 25, 2004

Wimbledon after a looong time...

Wimbledon surely has got that charismatic edge over the other grand slams. Until few years back I used to be glued to my television set during wimbledon. That probably was the only time (apart from cricket telecasts ofcourse!) I was tuned in to a single channel continuosly for long period, that too Doordarshan, can you imagine that. But recently in the williams era the game became monotonous. I'm not talking just about domination of the williams sisters (alone) but the entire game itself. I'm completely with John McEnroe in this, couldn't see somebody passionate in the game.

But yesterday night I landed in Star sports after some random browsing. It was match between unseeded Karolina Sprem (yeah get her name straight) and Venus Williams. I just got hooked to it, couldn't touch my remote. Karolina put up a wondrous fight against Venus. The match was so different from the start, with both the players hard fighting for each and every point it sure got me to the corner of the couch. I had become instant fan of Karolina.

Getty image from http://www.wimbledon.org

Those who have missed this match, you missed something great... this surely wasn't yet another second round match.
With the first set score 7-6 to Karolina was giving a great fight in her second set 3-2 ... and all of a sudden my screen went blank and those dorks at Star Sports switched to Euro Football. Aaarrrrrgh....

Before I started cursing them I sunk into England-Portugal match, Boy!! what a dream start for England Goal in the third minute.

I had to watch the morning news for the wimbledon result ... and Karolina had won it!!!!

Interestingly both the matches are into serious umpiring controversies. see Venus makes shock exit and Portugal break England hearts